International News

Iran rejects French idea of re-opening nuclear talks

TEHRAN: The idea mooted by France of re-opening nuclear talks was rejected by Iran on Friday, warning that seeking to broaden an existing landmark treaty could lead to its collapse.

The President Emmanuel Macron said that new negotiations would be required by his goal of “regional peace” on Thursday, adding that Paris aimed to rein in tge nuclear and ballistics activities of Iran and its regional influence.

He commented that at a press conference with President of United States Donald Trump, who last year withdrew from the multi-lateral agreement known as the JCPOA.

But Foreign Ministry Spokesman of Tehran Abbas Mousavi warned on Friday that “bringing up issues that are beyond the JCPOA does not help in saving the JCPOA, but will instead cause increased distrust among the remaining parties” to the deal.

European leaders, bitterly angered by the pullout of Trump from the deal last year in May, have strived to find ways in which they can salvage it in the face of re-instatement of tough sanctions of Washington.

The foreign ministry’s website stated in a statement, Mousavi said European parties to the deal had been “incapable of acting upon their commitments”.

He added that, making new demands under such circumstances would “only help America in nearing its objective — the collapse of the JCPOA.”

An agreement between world powers including France and the United States was the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action which offered Iran sanctions relief in return for curbs on its nuclear programme.

Iran had remained in full compliance with the deal, but with the left out parties trying to bypass US sanctions, Tehran has reaped few of the promised benefits.

The adherence were dropped on May to certain limits on enrichment activities under the accord and an ultimatum was given to the remaining parties that it would ditch other commitments unless promised sanctions relief were delivered.

Tighter controls has also been sought by administration of Trump on the ballistic missile capabilities of Iran.

The Washington Times published comments on Friday in which it was demanded by the Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that Iran bring its missile programme “back inside a set of constraints” laid out in UN Security Council Resolution 2231.

The Foreign Minister of Iran Mohammad Javad Zarif hit back, tweeting that the US had “violated” the same resolution by withdrawing from the nuclear deal and was “in no position to push a conceited interpretation of its missile provision”.

He further pointed out that the resolution called on Iran “not to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles DESIGNED to be capable of delivering NUCLEAR weapons.”
He said “Our missiles are not ‘designed’ for nukes, which we’re not developing.”

Related Articles

Close