UNITED NATIONS, United States: On Wednesday, the request by Britain, France and United States, to add the leader of Pakistan-based Islamist group to the UN terror blacklist behind a suicide attack in Kashmir was put on hold by China, said by diplomats.
The request of putting the leader of UN Security Council Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM), Masood Azhar, on the sanctions blacklist, by which he would be subjected to a global travel ban and assets freeze, was considered for the third time by UN Security Council.
The responsibility for the February 14 attack in Kashmir in which 40 Indian troops were killed was reportedly claimed by Jaish-e-Mohammad.
To impose sanctions on Masood Azhar- JeM leader has been blocked by China twice- in 2016 as well as in 2017. However, in 2001, the group was added to the terror list itself.
It was said by China in a note sent to the council that China need some more time to inspect the sanctions request which is targeting JeM leader Masood Azhar, as per the sources.
Last months, air raids were carried out by India and Pakistan in clashes across their frontier of disputed Kashmir, due to which tension were increase between the two nuclear-armed countries.
On February 26, an air raid was staged by India on a camp inside Pakistan and they said that the camp belonged to JeM. A day later, Indian fighter jets were shot down by Pakistan for crossing the Line of Control and came into Pakistan.
A pilot who was shot down over Pakistani territory was later sent back to India.
It was announced by Islamabad last week that there were more than 100 militants, in which many of them belonged to JeM, had been detained. However, those statements were greeted by India with suspicion.
It was denied by Shah Mehmood Qureshi- the Foreign Minister of Pakistan in a television interview that the responsibility for the suicide attack had been claimed by JeM.